The fee for Maker Camp Junior is $100. Other similar camps cost much more, but we’re not doing this for the money; in fact, The River will contribute extra money for the camp. We’re doing this because we love kids, we love making things, and we love God.
How did we even come up with $100? We’re a church, and we’re all about being honest and transparent, so we’ll tell you exactly how that cost is broken down:
- Cost for facility: $0 (our church will cover this)
- Cost for all our station leaders, crew leaders, and assistants: $0 (most* are unpaid volunteers)
- Cost per camper for project materials & supplies for the week: $50
- Snacks, final day lunch, admin, setup, and website costs: $25
That adds up to $75, so why are we charging $100? Here are the two things that we’re doing with the extra $25 dollars over cost:
- Scholarships – Silicon Valley has a lot of income disparity. Our congregation has a strong value in crossing these lines and bringing together people from different backgrounds and providing opportunities for kids who might not otherwise be able to afford a Maker Camp experience.
- *Internships – Many high school students in our community are looking for productive paying internships. It’s especially true for low income high school students from the local Washington Community, who attend our church and our sister church, Shalom Iglesia. Maker Camp and Maker Camp Junior is excited to offer these students a way of building work experience while assisting with our program.
By contributing $25 over cost, you’re enabling low income students to participate in the camp and high school students to develop leadership skills with a paid internship. It’s a win-win: your child gets an awesome experience at Maker Camp, and at the same time it facilitates participation for a student who wouldn’t normally be afforded the opportunity.
If $100 is more than you’re able to contribute, we’d be happy to offer a discount code so you can pay simply the basic cost of the camp ($75) or work with you to figure out a scholarship. Just email us (email@example.com).
We hope you won’t change your mind, but we understand there are sometimes extenuating circumstances that come up between now and the beginning of camp. Because we are hosting this camp for only one week, and we’re trying to keep costs low for everyone, we can only give refunds if they are requested by May 10th, 2019. After that, we can’t issue refunds since we will begin purchasing materials and preparing for camp. Contact us if you need to cancel your registration.